Now that we know where we are going to live, I decided to research churches in that area. I started with the Internet. As I began my search I found a lot of churches, but most of them were of a specific denomination most of which we would prefer not to attend. So I just kept looking and entered into the search English speaking churches in Overijse. Up popped this little church in Overijse and so I started looking over their website. I found that I could listen to their sermons on-line. So I chose a date and listened to the sermon. I was pleased with what I heard and continued to research their website. The more I read, the more excited I was that perhaps I had found a church "home" for our family.
On the website was listed a schedule for small group Bible Study gatherings. I called the church and asked if we could attend the group on Friday June 12. The secretary, Petra was very friendly and took my email so that she could be in touch about the small group. Within a few minutes I received an email with all of the information and the telephone number of the host and hostess. I called and left a message and within a short time I received a phone call from Christine inviting our family to her home on Friday.
We put the address in our GPS (Lucy we call our GPS) and we were off to Bible Study. We went to the home of Tayo and Christine who are originally from Nigeria. Immediately we felt comfortable and welcome in their home. Soon another couple arrived, Samuel and Jaqueline with their two children David and Giovanna. Giovanna is 13 months old and very cute. Both couples were very nice, warm, friendly and we felt as though we had known them for a long time. During the Bible study we all shared our stories of coming to Belgium. It was amazing to hear that both of these couples had felt lead by God to come to Belgium just as we had. Tayo and Christine have been in Belgium for 9 years. Samuel and Jaqueline have been back in Belgium for 6 months returning from a previous time here. Their stories were amazing and gave me chills to hear about God's work in them.
On Sunday, June 14 we attended Cornerstone International for the first time. There are approximately 40 people who are members of the church. This is a big change for us since our last two churches in Indiana and Alabama were both very large with about 4,000 members each. With our current situation of being in a new country it is nice to be in a small church where we can get to know everyone. The pastor Scott Lencke is originally from Memphis TN and his wife Cat (Catherine) is from Sheffield England. They seem to be a very sweet couple and are expecting their first child in about 2-1/2 weeks. There are people from all over the world in this church. Such a beautiful picture of God's tapestry of the world. There is a couple from South Africa, A lady from Sweden and her husband is Belgian. Another Belgian lady and her husband is from the Netherlands, and two families from Nigeria. A girl from Atlanta is visiting for the summer and she is originally from Korea and has lived all over the world. There are so many new people, that I am sure I have missed some country that is being represented at this truly International church.
Most importantly, it looks like the pastor is preaching God's Word directly from the Bible. We feel already that this will be a great fit for our family and look forward to getting more involved with this new church "family".
www.cornerstone.be (I tried to insert this as a link, but was unable.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment